Your favourite Kosci camp spots

Undies

Superspreadin the lurve
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
Am going to spend a few days hiking around Kosci in the coming weeks and was planning on camping at a couple of favourite spots near Twynam and Alice Rawson. But it got me to wondering what everyone's favourite spots are for spending a night on the Main Range?

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
At the risk of sounding like a gatekeeper, I'd caution people against posting their favourite camp sites on a public forum, especially somewhere as sensitive as the Main Range. The Range keeps getting busier and more people are treating it like their personal garbage tip and toilet...

Undies

Superspreadin the lurve
Ski Pass
May 15, 2002
Top drawer
Ahhh, really? That's a shame to hear. It's been over 10 years since I camped up there, hope it hasn't been spoiled too much.

zapruda

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 4, 2017
Canberra
Ahhh, really? That's a shame to hear. It's been over 10 years since I camped up there, hope it hasn't been spoiled too much.

I notice it because I spend a fair amount of time up there. Its still a stunning area. I'm just a curmudgeon.

Over the space of ten years I have noticed sites that have developed tent scars, as well as a general increase in litter and human waste. most noticeably below the summit of Mt Townsend and close to Rams Head North where those rocks are that every unimaginative photographer takes pictures of.

To put things in to perspective, I was told by an NPWS employee that over 1000 people per hour passed by Rawsons Pass during the 20/21 holiday period.

jonathanc

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 4, 2014
At the risk of sounding like a gatekeeper, I'd caution people against posting their favourite camp sites on a public forum, especially somewhere as sensitive as the Main Range. The Range keeps getting busier and more people are treating it like their personal garbage tip and toilet...
Yeah maybe DM any recommendations to @Undies - I have to say the demographic out there has changed a lot and not for the better, so I wouldn't be sharing any good spots publicly. Lots of instagram influenzas who are noisy and messy. Been out there a bit over the last two weeks, heaps of campers and not a single one carrying a poo tube (unless they were the kinds of 'people' who carry a poo tube inside the pack)

NeoSamurai

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 22, 2002
If I retrace my steps I can probably find it.
Just returned from the MainRange yesterday after a 3day hike with my daughter. Of course the Thredbo-Kosi punter route and MainRange loop were busy (as usual) but once ~500m away from those it was deserted. Nobody camping in Wilkinson Valley apart from a couple of small groups camping far, far away from the creek way high up near Muellers. Saw 2 deer - 1 near the old snow pole line in Wilkinsons the other up in The Abbotts and also a large dead feral dog rotting on The Sentinel ridge. Still some long, large snow drifts to negotiate on track and saw 2 keen snow boarders attempting to board on the very steep snow drift right above Club Lake - looked pointless. Camped at 2 of my 5 favourite places since the '80s on the Main Range - but ain't giving them away ;)

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
Well this will increase traffic...
Need sexy car bebe!!!!!
66029151-60EC-434F-AEBA-6D1047CA46F2.jpeg

Make sure your car looks a little something like this before you head off into the Snowys. Picture: Natalie Wolfe/news.com.au

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
Honda CRX did it great back in 89.
Forester's love it too.
Get's hot down at the Pinch.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass