Your Most Remembered Non-Skiing Travel Moment

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
what is your most memorable moment travelling?

i would like to hear about the moments that you remember most, and why you remember them.

I will start and I have two both in the US.

In LA, meeting Sascha Baron Cohen through a friend's friend's sister's husband's brother (yes). I was at this concert at a community hall with my friend and his friend, talking to this chick who happened to look familiar, and it turns out she was, it was Isla Fisher and her dude who was giving me greasys was actually Ali G!

I even more surprised when my friend's friend, and his sister, and her husband both joined the conversation and realised I was part of the party. We all decided to kick on at this hotel cafe or bar and I ended up getting shouted all this booze and great food. The worst part of the night was Sasha himself. Very boring and droll in real life. There is so little of the torah which is actually interesting.

My second moment was in San Fran. I was interested in beat poets in my teens and I wanted to take a sabbatical to the northern lights or whatever bookstore and the bar across the road. I didnt have a map and hate asking for directions so I just meandered around the city enjoying watching the crack addicts. I ended up at the bar, and sure enough, after grabbing a beer and a bar stool and trying to make out the faces in the pictures in front of me I realised it was Jack Keruoac and Allen Ginsburg and I was sitting in the exact same seat that they were sitting in, the picture taken of course in the same bar. Very memorable.

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999
CarveMan said:
What is this non-skiing travel you speak of?
laugh.gif

What's with the "Disgruntled Ex-employee" under your name ?

Last edited by a moderator:

markopolo

Naughty Corner Resident
Ski Pass
Jun 1, 2005
Caloundra
Taking a bus out of Cairo before sunset and then watching the sun rise over the Pyramids.

50 Fresh

First Runs
Jul 13, 2007
arrested at the airport in Amman by non-english speaking military for been in Jordan illegally (allegedly)

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
having my passport confiscated for working illegally in Honduras. They handed it back 2 months later when I finished work, charged me 100 lempura (USD17 or so) and stamped my passport for another week so I could catch a bus out
laugh.gif

Night dive in the Red Sea, Dahab, Egypt...to 52m, on a full moon, 60m+ vis with our torches off the entire dive
cool.gif

benchives

I forgot how to ski
Ski Pass
Dec 30, 2006
sydney
nice ones guys...

ooh I had two more, being arrested in italy for accidently bumping into the police whilst I was drunk and smoking apple bongs in the west bank.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass
H

Hacski

One Saturday night in Vienna when there was a stream of guys in penguin suits and women in evening dress heading to the opera house. Walking up the stairs from the understreet walkway this cop (they all wear camoflague uniforms) with a submachine gun walks up to me speaking Deutsch. I stuttered. His sergeant came up and said "You speak Ing". "Yes". "You go out". I got the message. So I went back around and joined the crowd of onlookers watching the limos drive up to the stairs and the VIPs get out and go in. Then up came a guy in his penguin suit on a little old putt putt Vespa and the whole crowd burst into laughter.

(I had a boss who had a meeting a bit like pigfaces' he bumped into Billy Connolly at a bar in one of those good San Francisco hotels when he was there on business. Billy thought he was incognito in the US and they had a couple of drinks together).

10legs

One of Us
Mar 8, 2007
sydney
bumping into a school friend at a bus station halfway between Rio and Iguazu Brazil.

Sunrise on Copacabana beach.

Clear sky night in Telluride Colorado.

Carbisdale Castle youth hostel in Scotland (best hostel experience I've ever had).

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
Seeing (and hearing) Pavarotti rehearsing with the Scottish symphony in the ballroom of the hotel I was working at in Scotland. In the relatively small space, he was so loud it was almost uncomfortable at times. Hard to comprehend that an unamplified human voice can generate so much volume. And of course his big notes were shiver-inducing moments that stay with me 20 years on.

TB

First Runs
Jun 11, 2004
Sydney
Many many many-but the best are always like minded travellers getting such a buzz out of the completely ordinary that locals find dull.

Most recent of these -"local cocktails" in an Irish bar in some BFI town in the middle of completely nowhere in Peru. Whilst this may seem ordinary the fact that a town with a population of people that could afford to drink at a bar numbered approx 5, and the second fact that the two funniest poms I have ever met were in town when I was(and belive me Poms are normally at least moderatley funny)made it a highlight-travelled with them for the next week-good times.

krobbo

Hard Yards
Feb 6, 2007
Cabarita Beach
TB said:
Many many many-but the best are always like minded travellers getting such a buzz out of the completely ordinary that locals find dull.

Agree with TB - after spending 4 mths backpacking in SE Asia in 1982 - towards the end we were wandering down a lane somewhere near nowhere in Sri Lanka and heard the music of Redgum coming out of a bar. Had not seen Aussies for a bit and here were some Aussie guys having a great time listening to Aussie music.

Others - being stopped by soldiers in our illegal black market truck in Burma, Trekking in Thailand, sleeping on deck on old yacht in Maldives and yes seeing snow and mountains for first time and learning to ski in my mid forties.

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
skichic said:
Night dive in the Red Sea, Dahab, Egypt...to 52m, on a full moon, 60m+ vis with our torches off the entire dive
cool.gif
that is the coolest thing i've ever heard of!!!
eek.gif
cool.gif
eek.gif
cool.gif

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Shrek said:
skichic said:
cool.gif
that is the coolest thing i've ever heard of!!!
eek.gif
cool.gif
eek.gif
cool.gif

Me too.

Diving at Dahab is one of the coolest non-skiing things I've ever done.

Others -

walking down the middle of Broadway and then through Central Park in NYC after a 24 hour blizzard had stopped

having lunch at a tiny restaurant somewhere in Umbria, being the only people there and ending up getting a cooking lesson from the proprietress and chatting in bad English/Italian for the afternoon while learning how to make some of the antipasti she served us

looking over the edge of the Grand Canyon for the first time

Summit

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Nov 25, 2004
Perth
Hiking the Grand Canyon to the Colorado River and back again in one day.

It was August 91 and we set off at 6.15am down the South Kaibab trail, getting to the river by 8.30am. Too cold for swimming, even in August.

The ascent is a lot more gradual up the Bright Angel Trail. Got to Indian Gardens about 11 and stayed there for an hour.

The hardest part of the walk was the last couple of hours, steep uphill in the heat of an August day when tired. Got back to the top of the south rim of the Canyon at about 2.30pm. 8 1/4 hours total time.

Doing it again next July, but in 2 days this time, staying at Phantom Ranch overnight.

H

Hacski

Funny how memories get stirred up.

Night diving, not me but hearing the testimony of someone who did it on a reef in Mauritius and got stung by several box jelly fish and had a dramatic story to tell of his struggle back to shore and an amazing near death experience.

The Grand Canyon for the first time too, late afternoon in the soft light. A comic counterpoint: Just after we looked over, a guy with a Yorkshire accent asked me to take his picture with his American hosts and the Canyon in the background. I said sure, and he said that was the first time on his entire visit to the US anyone understood him.

Bumping into someone: We took Amtrak from Albuquerque to Flagstaff (for the Grand Canyon) and chatted with a pensioner couple from Kansas on their annual free rail vacation. They didn't get off. Two weeks later we got on a train in Portland to go to Seattle and walked up the stairs to hear 'Its the Australian girl'.

Gently warm and fuzzy: Seeing Hacska (who has very few realtives anywhere) crying in a church yard in England where we discovered her forebears headstones dated in the 1700s. Standing with her in refelective meditation on the wind and drizzle swept battlements of Edinburgh Castle as she looked out over the Firth of Forth and thought of her dad, who died when she was twelve, sailing out from there on the midget submarines in training/testing for their mission to attack the Tirpitz.

JA2340

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2004
Tamworth
Waking to the view through the rear window of the camper van, out over the bay at Akaroa, NZ. Absolutely beautiful spot. Stayed o'night in the van park and were blown away by the morning's view.

Downtown

One of Us
Dec 6, 2006
Melbourne
A couple.

In a fast food restauranct in seattle trying to order a coke. I would have said "id like a coke" to him 10 times along with "coca-cola" 5 times before i eventually said coooke (in american accent) and he understood me.

Another grand canyon one here. Flying over it in a heli-copter was something i will never forget. Bit of snow on the north side too.

Aussie day at Whistler in 06. Best party day ever!

Snowbunny2

Hard Yards
Aug 20, 2003
Pimpama QLD
January 2000 in New York City. We did all the tourist things, Statue of Liberty, Yankee Staduim, and The Twin Towers (World Trade Centre) we were on the observation deck just on Sunset. Took a beautiful video out over the water and city as the sun went down and the city lights come on. Just fantastic !!! 11/9/01 I cried my eyes out that morning and still do everytime I watch my video, so pleased I took it.
cry.gif

WickedPowder

Hard Yards
Sep 22, 2007
Trying to drive down Jacobs Ladder (Ben Lanond, tasmainina) in a hire car, no chains and 10 - 15cm's snow. Using climbing gear, not realy designed for the wieght of a car to stop us from going over the edge.

It took several hours to get down, a short peice of road.

Very funny now but at the time....

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
On the train to arnhem in 1985, a group of Uk red berret vets were in my carriage. (Red Berrets are british paratroopers).

I went to arnhem to look at the site of "operation market garden". The british/us airborne attack that they hoped would end the war by xmas 1944. So i was going for the same reason as they were.

Some of the guys were obviously younger - but there were a couple of guys who were older. I walked up and asked one of the older guys whether they dropped in operation market garden. He said no - but pointed out one of the much older guys a distance away.

Next day i ran into the same guy in the museum with his party. I got talking to him, and the old guy came over and joined us. I said to him, "you were here", and he said yes. I said to him it was an honor to meet him and shook his hand.

I asked him why he didnt come back last year 1984, 40th anniversary. He said he was going to, but he just couldnt. (Dont forget the British Airborne dropped some 10,000 airborne troops. 80%+ were killed, wounded or captured.) So he lost a lot of buddies.

While i was talking to him, i saw another older man looking over our way and sort of listening in. I was watching the old guy and slowly made his way over almost hesitantly.

The old guy i was with was actually with Colonel Frost at the Arnhem bridge. 500 of them held one end of the bridge for 6 days i think.

The other old guy, sort of hesitantly joined our little group, and asked the old guy, who he was and who he was with. He had a north american accent. Then he said he was canadian, and that he had come up on the last night in the boats and under fire taken them out of the pocket where they had been surrounded.

Within a minute or two these guys were into it comparing notes. And then they hugged each other with tears streaming down their faces.

I left them alone - with respect. In one of the other rooms i was walking out as the british para was walking in. He saw me, came over, and thanked me, he had had it bottled up for 40 years, and meeting the canadian guy had been a real circuit breaker for him.

When they rescued the para's the SS division had been at them for 7 nights. The retreat on that night was really a case of blind panic in the end, and a stampede. The para's had been pushed to breaking and were being systematically eliminated by the SS.

I think meeting the canadian, helped him to deal with that night, when they had already exceeded there duty, and he may have fealt that he should have done more.

Karen97

One of Us
May 3, 2005
Thredbo
Seeing the Rockies for the first time

Bryce Canyon at sunset

Walking up the narrows in Zion NP

Going to Rainbow Park in Whistler with half the town in the middle of the night to see a meteor shower that blew my mind

James B

One of Us
Dec 18, 2000
Christchurch, NZ, God's Own
Taipan said:
On the train to arnhem in 1985, a group of Uk red berret vets were in my carriage.

This could be the start of a song, you know....

"On a warm summers evenin on a train bound for nowhere,
I met up with the gambler; we were both too tired to sleep.
So we took turns a starin' out the window at the darkness
til boredom overtook us, and he began to speak."

LOL.
smile.gif

Good post though. Memorable stuff.

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
Hacski said:
of her dad, who died when she was twelve, sailing out from there on the midget submarines in training/testing for their mission to attack the Tirpitz.
Wow, was he one of those guys! My Dad though what they did was pretty special, and he was on the other side.

AJC13B

First Runs
May 6, 2004
Sydney
Dunnottar Castle in Scotland blew my mind (figureatively and literally!!)

Probably the best travel story I have was in Japan this year. We had an overnight at Narita before heading to Germany, so myself, fiance and sis in law to be headed into Odaiba to check it out. We saw the last train to Narita airport left at 930pm, but missed it my moment. Got on a train heading to Narita (Not the airport) and thought we would be close. Was watching the stations wind down and saw the next stop should be Narita. It wasnt. It was some country platform with no lights in the middle of no where, nothing in english. We walked up the street and saw no one.

After about 10 minutes a cab showed up with an old dude driving. We asked him to take us to our hotel at the airport, but he didnt seem too stoked on the idea. Lots of back and forth with our super basic Japanese and we were getting no where. The cabbie got out of the cab and went in to a house and comes out with a local. The local spoke a little english. After a good 20 minutes, and several huddles with the local and a couple of other cabs that had showed up, and they eventually understand we want to go to a hotel at the airport, not get dropped at the aiport. Im not sure what our 'hote-ru airport-o' was being understood as. They thought we were going to stiff them on, what turned out to be, a good 45 minute drive to the airport for where ever it was we were. The local guy got in the cab with us and made sure we go to the right place, and talked the whole way. The cab fare cost 8000Y but I gave the guy 10000Y for being a good bloke. We got back to our hotel just before 1am!

SnowBenny

First Runs
May 27, 2005
Sydney
Being arrested in new caledonia for driving the presidential golf buggy off the end of the wharf. Landing on the persidential yacht.

edit: In uniform.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
SnowBenny said:
Being arrested in new caledonia for driving the presidential golf buggy off the end of the wharf. Landing on the persidential yacht.

edit: In uniform.

Ouch !!

Brake failure ??
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

SnowBenny

First Runs
May 27, 2005
Sydney
nah, navy ball. free drinks.. Ship was on the wharf at the bottom of the street, keys were in the golf buggy. It seemed logical at the time, all we had to do was point it down the hill and stop.

wouldnt think it would be hard would you
smile.gif

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC
Bit like "carrier landings" in the mess......

It's all very funny until someone loses a finger .......

There was some fun explaining that I can tell you.....
eek.gif

Taipan

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2001
NSW Mid North Coast
One of the great things about travel is those things you dont expect.

The cable car trip up aiguille du midi at Chamonix.

Backpacking and skiing europe alone in 1985. Left Australia with a back pack, return air ticket, and nothing booked. Flew to switzerland and down to Verbier.

For the first 3 days i was at Verbier i didnt speak to anybody who spoke English. Ran into some poms in a gondola one day. Then again a number of times over the next week. One afternoon they said over a beer, were going to Chamonix tomorrow to ski the glacier. Would you like to come?

Ill be in that i said. I really had no idea where i was going or what i was doing, but fealt confident in my skiing like any young fella.

We had to get there early and arrived about 8.15am and immediately booked our cable car. You get a ticket on a particular cable car number. Miss it TOUGH!. Ours left at about 2.15pm in the end.

You get two cable cars up from Chamonix to the top station at 3,842m. The little spike in the middle is the cable car station, and as anybody who has been there can tell - mountains are huge.

Aiguille_du_Midi_Chamonix_1.jpg

Looking down from the top.

aiguille-du-midi-24june.jpg

The actual ski was initially pretty scary. You walk through an ice tunnel, and out along the arret on the left to the top of the glacier.

On the left side as you walk down - well you can see the drop - and your holding onto a single rope in your left hand. On the right is about a 50 degree shot.

Skied the galacier which is on the other side of the mountain which then looped back around to chamonix. Avalanche came down across the path in front of me.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass