Your weather credentials

Discussion in 'Alpine & Southern' started by white_beanie, Feb 26, 2007.

1. white_beanie

white_beanie Part of the Furniture

Been reading this forum quite avidly for the last Aussie season or two. There are heaps of ppl who seem to know what they are talking about.

I'd be interested to know how you got all that knowledge - whether it be via formal qualifications, or self teaching (and if so, how?!)

I notice some people have "Weather commentator" status (or similar) - who gets this?

Would love to hear from all weather posters [​IMG]

#1 white_beanie, Feb 26, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  2. Taipan

Taipan Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Weather commentator basically means you can read a weather map, know the difference between a high and a low. What a front is, and why trough lines exist. The implications of pressure, humidity and temperature and how these effect snow falls in the Australian alps.

It also probably means a life long love of weather, and why it changes. Ive been skiing since 1979, and so ive seen quiet a few winters. In the 70's we got a 2" map on page 24 of the herald.

In those days, you were just as accurate in looking at wind direction, and cloud formations over the alps to predict the coming weather.

These days the resources are substantial, however even these start to get wonky about 72 hours out, by which time various models start to diverge.

I think to be a weather commentator you also need to still be excited about weather systems moving through the southern alps long after youve had all the skiing your wallet can afford for that year.

Weather commentators do not hold qualifications.

There are also a number of other classifications, which require that the member prove to the moderators that you hold qualifications in that area.

3. dmz

dmz More cheeeese Gromit Ski Pass: Gold

It also means you nearly won a snow tipping comp!

4. Taipan

Competition gets better every year, i must admit.

I know my views on climate change are not shared by the masses, (and annoy some) but i also try very hard to really understand the science and underlying politics which plays such a huge part.

IMHO the science is far from settled. That is unpalletable for some.

My wife said to me the other day, why do you print out all these reports! (Getting quiet a collection).

5. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

got a major in atmospheric science at uni. still aint a WC [​IMG] :tany: hehe.

#5 Vermillion, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  6. Spiceman

Spiceman Part of the Furniture

For me it's been a massive hobby for the last 7.5 years, however the last couple I haven't been as active in here. In last few months I'm trying to change that as I prefer this forum to some of the others. It's not as busy in here as in times past either.

7. Taipan

ah just the person i want to see. Ill send you a pm about some studies im looking for.

#7 Taipan, Feb 27, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  8. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

and replied tai. sorry im not much of a help this time.