1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Youth ticket - be warned

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by TinkyH23, Aug 18, 2008.

1. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 Hard Yards

We're up at Falls atm.

Saturday morning joined the long queue at bottom of chair whilst husband took our 3 boys in for ski hire.

Attendant wouldn't give me a YOUTH ticket because I didn't have a student ID for him. Had to buy an adult ticket.

Next day my husband goes to buy same but this time has my 16 yo's learner's permit licence (WITH HIS DATE OF BIRTH). Unbelievably they wouldn't accept a licence but insisted we show a school ID. So there you go, we had to pay for ANOTHER adult ticket.

Yes folks I have now read the VERY SMALL FINE PRINT in the LIFT/LESSON/RENTAL booklet and apparently one must show a STUDENT ID to prove that a 16 yo is in fact a student.

NOT HAPPY JAN!
    No wonder it's so bloody quiet up here.
    People are just getting jack of pricing and service.

2. TinkyH23

TinkyH23 Hard Yards

My 16 year old is in fact shorter than my 14 year old.
    I shouldn't have been so honest with them - and bought 3 child tickets.

3. h2oskier

h2oskier One of Us

what is also a PITA in situations like this that a student card is required is that an awful lot of primary and secondary schools dont have student cards.. Of course the lift companies know this too..
    I wish falls/hotham would step up to the plate like buller and offer tertiary rates. HINT HINT FCSL!!!!!!! It would get me up there a lot more.

You know what to do next time...

4. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture Moderator

Hotham and Falls do offer tertiary rates, but normally only if you have a uni organised ski trip. So, go find your uni ski club and get involved with them.

5. h2oskier

h2oskier One of Us

[​IMG] My uni (CSU) is lucky to have a bar on my campus let alone a ski club... If only!

I still ask every time though with my student card in hand [​IMG]

#5 h2oskier, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  6. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

That does kind of suck TinkyH23 ... as was pointed out many many schools do not have student ID ... so how are they supposed to show anything???

Did you try calling up FCSL and POLITELY asking them what you could have done differently. If you do I would be very interested in their response.

7. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

you may even get something out of it !!

8. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Yes that is so, but the ticket is called a "Youth Ticket". It is fairly clearly indicated in the conditions on my trail map in the ticket price section, in bold print, that student ID is required. The product should be renamed "Student Ticket" to avoid confusion.

9. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

But is it available to any student? ie at 40 you could enroll part time (or full time) at a uni and get a student card, are you still able to get a student ticket then? I doubt it and nor should you.

I suspect it is a "youth full time student" ticket.

I guess they could call it.
    "Youth ticket for full time students of a school or tertiary institute who are under the age of 21"

Or they could give it a 2 word name and put the requirements in the conditions.

10. Stratus

Stratus A Local

Ok i re visited the ticket page and yes it does appear misleading because its called YOUTH ticket yet it is bascially a STUDENT ticket however you have to be a YOUTH.

It should be called a YOUTH STUDENT ticket because you can only get it if your AT SCHOOL and UNDER 18.

So i'm guessing if your at UNI, full time, you still have to pay adult rates. Unless they have explained it incorrectly on the ticket page.

11. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

For the younger boy, if you can prove his date of birth, I can't see their argument for a student ID card as it is illegal to leave school before the age of 16. Take it up with the lift company. I have had positive dealings previously with Lynn Gibbs.

12. Slushii

Slushii Mostly missing in action... Moderator

Even if you don't have a club or don't get involved with a club, you can still get a group of Uni mates together, and write a letter to Falls Creek stating that you're bona fide tertiary students and would like a tertiary discount.

I used to, along with Dark One and other friends, organise ski trips for postgraduates students in the department that we were in. Falls Creek was really good - they said they'll give tertiary student discounts for a group of 10 or more, but we only had 8 people. Wrote another letter, and they still gave the discount to the eight of us. We had to get a letter from our department to state that we're all students there, but that was no problem. That's one reason why we went to Falls Creek at lot when we were just beginners and intermediate skiers.

So, if you ask nicely, write a nice letter, get proactive, you can get a discount - student ski club or not! You just have to do some work to get it.

#12 Slushii, Aug 19, 2008
  13. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

A friendly positive proactive approach often yields a good result.

14. Jeffo

Jeffo Hard Yards

See if you can prebook your tickets next year and get them dropped off at your accomodation. No ID needed [​IMG]

#14 Jeffo, Aug 19, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  15. snowobsessedgirl

snowobsessedgirl Hard Yards

Thats right, a uni student who is over 18 has to pay adult rates. I saved some money this year by getting a Uni Student Season Pass, which is $699, compared to an adult pass at $1050. We did 8 days of skiing at Hotham, and 8 at Falls, and it worked out to be $43 a day. We were quite happy with that [​IMG]

#15 snowobsessedgirl, Aug 19, 2008
  16. h2oskier

h2oskier One of Us

cool, thanks for the idea slushii. will definately keep it in mind.

#16 h2oskier, Aug 19, 2008