Yummy Japan

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
This is a thread for sharing yummy or "interesting / weird" foods & drinks that you think we should try in Japan. Please let us share your opinions;)

I think trying a Japanese cooking class can be a very good cultural experience too. I highly recommend trying a cooking class like Niseko Gourmet.
https://www.tripadvisor.jp/Restaura...o_Gourmet-Kutchan_cho_Abuta_gun_Hokkaido.html

If not in Niseko, there are many cooking classes for English speaking foreign tourists in Tokyo, or you can use this kind of websites.
http://locals.tadaku.com/?gclid=Cjw...6cul98_XJ5bhLvwy0QHVJaEqT6-8U9KxoC72gQAvD_BwE

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Everything in Japan in yummy except for Natto and Okra!!
Try Mamenoka, a lot less stringy and less smelly natto newly designed for foreigners like you:D. Natto with okra every morning is very good for our health & beauty and it will make you healthy enough to ski when you are 80 years old:thumbs:
https://www.tsukuba-tci.co.jp/mamenoka/product/asaichiban.html
product_image_01_02.jpg

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
fugu... Ate it when I stayed in Fukui at a seaside village...
Something people should try at least once.

Reactions: Ramenman

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
My breakfast usually consists of a trip to seven eleven :)

You can buy cereal fruit and milk in the supermarket if you want

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
At chitose airport hotel I couldnt believe everybody going for the karaage at 6am!

Karaage is delicious but it's too early for me

Everyone should try the classic Japanese dishes like that, takoyaki, yakiniku, okonomiyaki, sushi train restaurant.
If in hokkaido, the crab and scallops

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014

Except for breakfast

I don't usually feel hungry much in morning, so two onigiris = rice balls or cereal with fruits is very enough. Speaking of onigiri, Seven Eleven, Lawson and Family Mart are the best, not Seicomart!. Speaking of cereals, I like this Nissin's one.
81cH9xTQ8vL._SL1500_.jpg

Born2skii

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 23, 2016
Brisbane
Since visiting Japan on four occasions we now include a number of Japanese dishes in our weekly diet. Three dishes that I regularly make are okonomiyaki, Japanese curries and sushi rolls. Of course we also have the Japanese extras like pickled ginger, wasabi, green tea, miso soup, sesame dressing and the most important one of them all.........Kewpie ! :D

41VMAFVPDTL.jpg

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Since visiting Japan on four occasions we now include a number of Japanese dishes in our weekly diet. Three dishes that I regularly make are okonomiyaki, Japanese curries and sushi rolls. Of course we also have the Japanese extras like pickled ginger, wasabi, green tea, miso soup, sesame dressing and the most important one of them all.........Kewpie ! :D

41VMAFVPDTL.jpg

Kewpie is the best:cool:

Why Are Chefs Obsessed with This One Japanese Mayo?

http://www.foodandwine.com/blogs/why-chefs-love-kewpie-mayo

How do people in Japan use Kewpie Mayo?

https://pogogi.com/how-do-people-japan-use-kewpie-mayo

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
My favourite onigiri is ikura (salmon eggs) either dry (the ones that apply the nori (seaweed) to the rice afterwards, or the ones with nori already applied, that seem more home made.

My favourite ones of the secobd type are from Lawsons, particularly ikura and grilled salmon, which has a smoky flavour.

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
One other point about sushi.... some people have said that they taste no difference between Japanese sushi and Aussie sushi. But there's a reason for that.... they go for THE SAME sushi they eat in Australia, usually the rolls or the extra red tuna, which is BORING and I also can't taste the difference!!!!!

When in Japan, go to GOOD sushi train, and pick ones that you haven't seen before: extra fatty tuna & salmon, some silver fish, the eel, and the Japanese sushi squid is not as chewy.

MAKE SURE that there are many people in there.... if it's quiet, some of the sushi will have been going around and around for an hour, and has started to dry up. Better yet, pick a place that also DELIVERS freshly made sushi to you (either by waiter or on an additional automated "train track".
And don't DROWN it in shoyu (soy sauce).

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Was chatting with MIL last night. She said she had never eaten ANY Japanese food until I brought her a sushi pack home one day a year or so ago. Took her to Tsunami (our local excellent Japanese restaurant) about 6 months ago and going again on Saturday - this exposed her to gyoza, sashimi, tempura veg and king prawns, as well as volcanic rock wagyu. She's coming to Japan for the first time in March and I am so excited to introduce her to many of the things you have all listed.

I love introducing people to new experiences!! It's like watching people's faces the first time they see snow. Brings back my own excitement and enthusiasm.

blowfin

One of Us
Ski Pass
Nov 3, 2012
Perth
Negitoro Don is my gas. I think the best one I've ever had was, strangely enough, at the food court at the base of Suginohara.
Tried horse meat on the last trip, it was almost in a stew-like sauce. Quite gamey but a very rich flavour.
The first time I tried Takoyaki was from a street vendor in Akihabara, they were so hot they nearly melted my face off. There's a local lunch bar near my house now that does them, so I'm pretty happy with that.
Unagi (too strong in flavour) and extra salty breakfast items (I think including the Natto) are things I don't enjoy so much.

DeskRider

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 13, 2011
Melbourne
Have eaten a lot of weird stuff in Japan, most notably raw chicken. Another interesting experience was shoting a beating eel heart in a cup of sake.

Love the festival food, Yaki-anything always tastes awesome.

Favourite beer snack is eihire (grilled skate fin), so good

Reactions: piolet and Hyst

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
https://www.google.co.jp/search?biw...0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.v74nuRjOZOA
green-tea-health-benefits3.jpg

Green tea has many health benefits. In Japan, people drink green tea without adding sugar, and sugar free green tea is very good for our health and beauty. People in many countries drink green tea with sugar, but sugar can ruin the health benefits. If you think sugar free green tea is too bitter, I'll give you a tip. Try cold brewed green teas. What makes green tea bitter is mostly tannin and green tea contains a lot of tannin when you brew green tea at 60 or higher degrees. Most greet teas are usually brewed at somewhere between 65 and 90 degrees, so you feel sugar free green tea is bitter. I feel cold brewed green tea is rather a bit sweet than bitter. I recommend this kind of filter-in bottles for cold brewed green tea.

71QyAiQSHKL._SL1025_.jpg

61pgaVsAtlL._SL1071_.jpg

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney

Actually, 7-11, Lawsons and the other conbini sell great sushi. It's my go-to breakfast when on the road in japow.

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
The only two things I don't like are Squid jerky (I call it squirky) and natto. Though my local fav eatery does a salad with natto mixed in it and it is then quite nice (also does raw marinated horse..again quite nice)

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
And for those of you thinking, sushi from a convenieince store?? yuk!....you;ll be interested to note that the nori sheets are wrapped separately (most of the time) so that you get a fresh, crunchy bite.
And for 2 years running 7-11 have won the best conbini-sushi-for breakfast-while on-the-road award, as pronounced by the Tonester fam (well myself and Little Ms Tonester):nerd:

Reactions: Tanuki

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Was chatting with MIL last night. She said she had never eaten ANY Japanese food until I brought her a sushi pack home one day a year or so ago. Took her to Tsunami (our local excellent Japanese restaurant) about 6 months ago and going again on Saturday - this exposed her to gyoza, sashimi, tempura veg and king prawns, as well as volcanic rock wagyu. She's coming to Japan for the first time in March and I am so excited to introduce her to many of the things you have all listed.

I love introducing people to new experiences!! It's like watching people's faces the first time they see snow. Brings back my own excitement and enthusiasm.
And on the flip side, I recall bumping into an aussie woman in Niseko a few years back having a real serious whinge about the food and lack of "real food" (read burgers, chips and pizza) :rolleyes:

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
And for those of you thinking, sushi from a convenieince store?? yuk!....you;ll be interested to note that the nori sheets are wrapped separately (most of the time) so that you get a fresh, crunchy bite.
And for 2 years running 7-11 have won the best conbini-sushi-for breakfast-while on-the-road award, as pronounced by the Tonester fam (well myself and Little Ms Tonester):nerd:

They are triangular, right? That's not sushi, that's onigiri

Sandy

Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
yes, and some are cylindrical...IIRC
Thanks for the correction
Yep, a few are cylindrical...

And I had these today: :D

My favourite onigiri is ikura (salmon eggs) either dry (the ones that apply the nori (seaweed) to the rice afterwards, or the ones with nori already applied, that seem more home made.

My favourite ones of the second type are from Lawsons, particularly ikura and grilled salmon, which has a smoky flavour.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014

I love Japanese sesame dressing and sesame sauce. Especially Shabu Shabu with sesame sauce is very delicious!. I like this mizkan's sesame sauce for Shabu Shabu.
original.jpg

For the people who don't know Shabu Shabu. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabu-shabu

Kewpie also has some yummy sesame dressings and sauces too.
kam190472.jpg

Reactions: Heinz and Tonester

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
When people head to a yakiniku restaurant, they should try things like soft chicken bone or pork tubes (intestine).. as well as the usual pork cheek or wagu or ox tongue

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
wasabi tako is a must try... I've had it in restaurants over here, but it's much better in Japan

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I love Japanese sesame dressing and sesame sauce. Especially Shabu Shabu with sesame sauce is very delicious!. I like this mizkan's sesame sauce for Shabu Shabu.
original.jpg

For the people who don't know Shabu Shabu. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shabu-shabu

Kewpie also has some yummy sesame dressings and sauces too.
kam190472.jpg

I've had that Sesame dressing at home as well - very nice.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
When people head to a yakiniku restaurant, they should try things like soft chicken bone or pork tubes (intestine).. as well as the usual pork cheek or wagu or ox tongue

It's written / called 鳥軟骨 = Tori Nan Kotsu. Tori = bird in Japanese, but in this case it's chicken. Nankotsu = soft bone = cartilage. I order Nankotsu / chicken cartilage and Sunagimo / chicken gizzard whenever I go to a Yakitori restaurant:thumbs:.

This is Nankotsu = chicken cartilage.
auto_MNE7H9.jpg

This is Sunagimo = chicken gizzard. I really like the nicely hard textures of Sunagimo and Nankotsu, not only the tastes.
1-sunagimo.jpg

Reactions: Froff Life

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
It's written / called 鳥軟骨 = Tori Nan Kotsu. Tori = bird in Japanese, but in this case it's chicken. Nankotsu = soft bone. Nankotsu is my favorite and I order Nankotsu and Sunagimo whenever I go to a Yakitori restaurant.

This is Nankotsu.
auto_MNE7H9.jpg

This is Sunagimo. I like the textures of Sunagimo and Nankotsu very much, not only the tastes.
1-sunagimo.jpg

I've also eaten yakitori chicken neck & that isn't too bad either

Reactions: LMB and Ramenman

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
Apart from the different or more obscure foods to try, I do like a good Japanese bakery!!!

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
when I ate fugu, we were also served sea slug & sea snail..
the snail was a bit meh, but the sea slug was really tasty.. and I am sure it was sashimi style

Zimboo

A Local
Aug 28, 2014
when I ate fugu, we were also served sea slug & sea snail..
the snail was a bit meh, but the sea slug was really tasty.. and I am sure it was sashimi style
Sea slug/cucumber, a favourite amongst the ladies it seems............ giggle.
https://washokufood.blogspot.com.au/2013/09/namako-sea-slug.html
From the above:
"Sea cucumbers are believed to be endowed with aphrodisiac powers in the Far East. The reason for this belief is the peculiar reaction of the creature on being kneaded or disturbed slightly with fingers. It swells and stiffens and a jet of water is released from one end. This behaviour is similar to the erection and subsequent ejaculation of the male human penis. After releasing the jet, which is a defensive mechanism and contains irritants, the creature loses its stiffness and reverts to its original state."

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass