Yummy Japan

pedub

One of Us
Jul 26, 2015
Nearly every train station in Tokyo has awesome baked goods (most places in Japan I went to actually)
I was buying something nearly every station I came to while I spent 5 days in Tokyo :)

Thought that may put on a few kgs but according to my gf's pedometer we were also doing nearly 30,000 steps a day !?
You can explore forever there, 5 days was nowhere near enough

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
I really like the Japanese love affair with all things French. And this is nowhere more evident than in department store food halls. I could spend days in there.

Reactions: skivet

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
On another note, I stumbled across a regional specialty of Nagano called Oyaki. I found them in the department store food hall adjacent to the train station.
They are doughy bun filled with either sweet or savoury fillings.Some were baked, others steamed. I had a hot apple one, or maybe four. Yum

TACKIE

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2002
warmer climes
On another note, I stumbled across a regional specialty of Nagano called Oyaki. I found them in the department store food hall adjacent to the train station.
They are doughy bun filled with either sweet or savoury fillings.Some were baked, others steamed. I had a hot apple one, or maybe four. Yum
There is a great little place on the Nagano - Hakuba road, where they teach you to make your own. A quaint old building with open fire place to cook them. Very yummy.

Reactions: piolet and Tonester

Johnny Come Lately

One of Us
Jul 26, 2003
Melbourne
https://www.google.co.jp/search?biw...0....0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.v74nuRjOZOA
green-tea-health-benefits3.jpg

Green tea has many health benefits. In Japan, people drink green tea without adding sugar, and sugar free green tea is very good for our health and beauty. People in many countries drink green tea with sugar, but sugar can ruin the health benefits. If you think sugar free green tea is too bitter, I'll give you a tip. Try cold brewed green teas. What makes green tea bitter is mostly tannin and green tea contains a lot of tannin when you brew green tea at 60 or higher degrees. Most greet teas are usually brewed at somewhere between 65 and 90 degrees, so you feel sugar free green tea is bitter. I feel cold brewed green tea is rather a bit sweet than bitter. I recommend this kind of filter-in bottles for cold brewed green tea.

71QyAiQSHKL._SL1025_.jpg

61pgaVsAtlL._SL1071_.jpg
Green tea sounds like a Japanese coconut oil...

Reactions: Tanuki

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Okonomyaki is my long term fave
Along with the ever popular gyoza :D
I've had lots of stuff I've since forgotten the name of but it can be a great adventure.
I used to frequent a bakery with the best cream filled pastries... Soooo good

I do have a question for the locals though; The 'gaban' branded silver tins of ground pepper etc... They have one called 'seven spice' iirc?? Is it a figment of my imagination? The Gaban pepper tins are often at noodle shops etc.
I would like to buy a big ass tin of the seven spice but couldn't locate it at the Narita Aeon mall - what should I ask em for?

Reactions: Ramenman

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Had lunch at Ichiraku in North Perth for #2 sons birthday today. Ramen was the bomb.

I had a drink - Yuzu, honey and soda over ice. VERY nice. The addition of honey was different. Must remember this combo. Straight Yuzu shu over ice can be a bit too syrupy.

Reactions: Ramenman and piolet

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Okonomyaki is my long term fave
Along with the ever popular gyoza :D
As is mine. My favourite okonomiyaki joint is Masaya's in Furano town....a fave of a few forumites.
Whilst in Tokyo, my go-to okonomiyaki joint is in Shinbashi, next to the Sunroute Hotel. But that could have a lot to do with the very cute chef OR the fact that they gave me a whole bunch of stuff to take home with me, when I told them their restaurant was our favourite place for okonomiyaki and we return there every time we are in tokyo.

Last edited:
Reactions: piolet

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Had lunch at Ichiraku in North Perth for #2 sons birthday today. Ramen was the bomb.

I had a drink - Yuzu, honey and soda over ice. VERY nice. The addition of honey was different. Must remember this combo. Straight Yuzu shu over ice can be a bit too syrupy.

I love Ramen:nerd:

I like fruit + sake. Sudachi is a Japanese citrus fruit and I like Sudachi Shu = Sudachi + Sake:thumbs:.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudachi

ojisan

station master
Ski Pass
Jul 26, 2011
My favourite okonomiyaki is from a small window in the wall kitchen shop in Nishinomya near the in laws.. very very very tasty.
Also.. Hiroshima style (in Hiroshima of course) is yummy as well

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Gari Gari-ken. Alcoholic slushee, hard to beat.
There's an amazing Japanese curry place on the road up to Mt Nasu. There's a shop with some of the best ramen i've ever eaten on the same road.
Takoyaki from this tiny little shop at the Ameyoko market in Ueno.
Pizza from this dudes' house/little shop in Zaoonsen village.

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Kitakata ramen. My ski season usually starts with this ramen. I mean, I often go to Fukushima / Yamagata to ski. Kitakata Ramen is a regional ramen from Aizu Wakamatsu area of Fukushima prefecture. Most ski resorts in Fukushima belong to Aizu Wakamatsu area and most ski resorts in Fukushima have Kitakata ramen.

About Kitakata ramen : https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/food/articles/2.html
img2_l.jpg

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
On my first trip to Japan in 1991, I was subjected to a small deep fried fish, approx sardine size, with head and tail in tact. The first bite was just crunch, ok, not bad, the second bite was just roe, YUCK, pregnant fish. While I can't remeber the Japanese name for this delicacy, the taste and experience has never left me.

The japanese love their surprises.

Vermillion

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Nov 13, 2005
Cranhole, Melbourne, VIC
Kitakata ramen. My ski season usually starts with this ramen. I mean, I often go to Fukushima / Yamagata to ski. Kitakata Ramen is a regional ramen from Aizu Wakamatsu area of Fukushima prefecture. Most ski resorts in Fukushima belong to Aizu Wakamatsu area and most ski resorts in Fukushima have Kitakata ramen.

About Kitakata ramen : https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/food/articles/2.html
img2_l.jpg

I can confirm all Aizu ski resorts have this on their menu (Takahata, Takatsue, Nango and Daikura).

Reactions: piolet and Ramenman

bingeely

Hard Yards
Sep 11, 2017
any of the drinks that look different from the vending machines, esp the hot drinks when at the snow. The corn soup was always out though when I wanted one

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
any of the drinks that look different from the vending machines, esp the hot drinks when at the snow. The corn soup was always out though when I wanted one

My most favorite hot drinks from vending machines are

Kirin's hot milk tea "午後の紅茶" meaning afternoon tea.
1395308082.jpg

Suntory's "あったかいはちみつレモン" meaning hot honey lemon.
DMBe9uhUMAA-rhF.jpg

Kirin's "Corn & Cheese"
product18_pc.jpg

Asahi's おしるこ = Oshiruko = Red bean soup
images

Reactions: Tanuki

Tanuki

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Sep 29, 2010
you have a Japanese store nearby? Out local one in Prahran now has to lock up their Whiskey etc as the AUS kids keeps stealing it.
Pic above Taken in Australia....
(just for clarity)

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
My most favorite hot drinks from vending machines are

Kirin's hot milk tea "午後の紅茶" meaning afternoon tea.
1395308082.jpg

Suntory's "あったかいはちみつレモン" meaning hot honey lemon.
DMBe9uhUMAA-rhF.jpg

Kirin's "Corn & Cheese"
product18_pc.jpg

Asahi's おしるこ = Oshiruko = Red bean soup
images

All of them are nicely sweet because I feel like drinking something sweet when it's very cold outside. I really like bitter sugar free Japanese green tea, but if I buy a hot green tea from a vending machine at a ski resort in winter, I'll choose Genmaicha = brown rice green tea. Genmaicha is also sugar free green tea, so it's very healthy too and it tastes slightly sweeter thanks to the rice in it. This is about Genmaicha: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genmaicha

This is my favorite hot Genmaicha. 玄米茶 = Genmaicha. Of course it's sugar free and almost 0 calorie.

100818-61-03.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: piolet

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
The steamboat restaurant at Rusutsu does a good omelette curry.

Speaking of Omucurry in Hokkaido, Furano is famous for it. Even Wikipedia has Furano Omucurry in Japanese:cool:
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/富良野オムカレー

Furano city produces a lot of rice, daily products, vegetables and wine and those rice, daily products, vegetables and wine which are produced in Furano are used a lot in Furano Omucurry. Restaurants in Furano city have been working jointly to attract more tourists by use of their yummy Omucurry:D.

Furano Omucurry
https://www.google.co.jp/search?q=f...z4DXAhUEw7wKHRxhBawQ_AUICygC&biw=1366&bih=662

20171.4.10.ura.jpg

Furano Omucurry restaurant map
furano_map.gif

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
I love Kaisen-don/海鮮丼. Kaisen means fresh seafood, and don of Kaisen-don is donburi. If you don't know what donburi is, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donburi

There are many different kinds of Kaisen-don, but my most favorite Kaisen-don is Kaisen-don with raw salmon, ikura = salmon egg, uni = sea urchin, raw shirasu = baby sardine, etc.
article_art002041_2.jpg

This is raw shirasu-don with raw egg, my favorite donburi:nerd:
2014-07-21T14:56:15-d3ec8.jpg

Rice with ikura is very yummy, so ikura onigiri is very yummy and my favorite onigiri. You can't buy Kaisen-don at conbinis, but most conbinis have ikura onigiri, so you should try it, I highly recommend it:). Ah, onigiri = rice ball.
fd0c9f428de0797a14be1a91eaa96ea836c09cff.33.2.3.2.jpg

Reactions: Tonester and piolet

Pelm1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2009
Perth WA

I made these....Nozawana pickles. Apricot. Black beans. Apple
12670193_955951011119737_4044237444945720317_n.jpg

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
I love Kaisen-don/海鮮丼. Kaisen means fresh seafood, and don of Kaisen-don is donburi. If you don't know what donburi is, read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donburi

There are many different kinds of Kaisen-don, but my most favorite Kaisen-don is Kaisen-don with raw salmon, ikura = salmon egg, uni = sea urchin, raw shirasu = baby sardine, etc.
article_art002041_2.jpg

This is raw shirasu-don with raw egg, my favorite donburi:nerd:
2014-07-21T14:56:15-d3ec8.jpg

Rice with ikura is very yummy, so ikura onigiri is very yummy and my favorite onigiri. You can't buy Kaisen-don at conbinis, but most conbinis have ikura onigiri, so you should try it, I highly recommend it:). Ah, onigiri = rice ball.
fd0c9f428de0797a14be1a91eaa96ea836c09cff.33.2.3.2.jpg
@Ramenman......Geto Kogen have a nice little version of Kaisen-don. But you probably knew that already. For resort food...I rate it! I'm looking forward to having it again come February :)

Reactions: Heinz and Ramenman

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
@Ramenman......Geto Kogen have a nice little version of Kaisen-don. But you probably knew that already. For resort food...I rate it! I'm looking forward to having it again come February :)

Geto Kogen has this yummy ramen too;)
2F_R1.jpg

Speaking of Kaisen-don, eating at Nakau is the most accessible and cheapest. Nakau is a nationwide doburi & udon restaurant chain. About Nakau : https://www.nakau.co.jp/en/
1.jpg

Reactions: piolet and Heinz

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide

Geto as I recall has a huge upstairs dining area, but last year when I was there it was fairly quiet and only a few outlets were operating. Might have to check out the Keisen-don when I am back there next year.

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
Geto as I recall has a huge upstairs dining area, but last year when I was there it was fairly quiet and only a few outlets were operating. Might have to check out the Keisen-don when I am back there next year.
That was exactly my experience. It's a huge dining area serviced by a number of outlets, but on the day I was there only 2 were open. I assumed it was because there were not many punters at Geto that day (it was a shocking day...wind and rain).
I am looking forward to heading back there to explore Geto on a better day AND to sample the Keisen-don!

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
It may be they only open up more of them on busier days ie. weekends?
Weather was ok when I was there, somewhat windy and snowing (not raining), but not that many people. Pretty much walked straight onto gondola all day, so could understand that they only had limited outlets open. No problem at all getting a table though.

Reactions: Tonester

Pelm1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2009
Perth WA
Sugoi, cooking class!, I highly recommend people on this forum join cooking classes in Tokyo or ski resort villages!
After the class, we didn't eat the Oyaki, we had a feast that the lady running the class had prepared... It was awesome.. She was 87....

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
After the class, we didn't eat the Oyaki, we had a feast that the lady running the class had prepared... It was awesome.. She was 87....

87? Then, she is rather young:nerd:. I mean, do you know Sukiyabashi Jiro, one of the most famous sushi restaurants in Japan?. The master chef is 91 years old, and he still commutes to make yummy sushi in very crowded tiring Tokyo's subways;). Read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiro_Ono_(chef)

Reactions: Pelm1

Ramenman

A Local
Mar 3, 2014
Yukimi Daifuku, the best 100 Yen ice cream. I feel like eating it even when it's -12 degrees outside:nerd:. Most conbinis have Yukimi Daifuku, so you should give it a try:thumbs:

About Yukimi Daifuku : http://jpninfo.com/43553
sSC_3798.jpg

Reactions: ojisan
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass