1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Zermatt March 2019

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Luv my K2s, Nov 19, 2018.

1. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

Hi. If anyone is interested in skiing in Zermatt this March, we have an intermediate group (piste skiing at modest pace) going on March 2-9 and an advanced group (on and off piste skiing at fast pace) on March 9-16. You just need to make your own way to Switzerland and everything else is organised for you. Groups will be small, up to 8 people. Only 3 places left for the intermediate group.

2. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Cost?

3. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

Varies a little depending on accommodation choice and time of booking but to give you an idea.. around $3,000 pp with transfers and single B&B

4. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Intrigued.. What's the motivation for advertising on ski.com.au?

Are the groups from Australia? Are the transfers from/to GVA?

5. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

Only just discovered this forum and thought it would be perfect as it seems to be full of ski enthusiasts..no?

Groups are mixed, Australians and others. You can transfer from/to anywhere but if from an airport, best connections are Geneva, Zurich but even Basle's fine.

6. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Having skied in Zermatt several times the ski school puts you into an appropriate group. I still keep in touch with an American and a South African guy I met in ski school first time I visited the best ski town in the world in 1987. Can't really see the advantage of booking through you.

7. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

Thanks for the straight talk. I've been skiing in Zermatt for 16 years, the resort has gone from better to better over the years and certainly much improved since 1987. The latest, a 3S cable car up to Klein Matterhorn is fantastic by all accounts and will help it be better again. Yes there are plenty of great ski schools and I highly recommend them, especially if you want to learn or indeed improve technique and of course we can all do that, and yes to make life long friends too. Skiing with this group will be very different to that, it will simply be a group having a holiday together, skiing, eating, drinking, partying and hopefully making new friends. Would love to hear more of your thoughts..

8. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Skied there many times since 1987, it is my favourite place on this earth.
    To sell your product on here you would have to be more detailed in what you have to offer. The members range in age from teenagers to 70+, I would suggest you outline what people will get for their money, style of accommodation, are there any meals included etc.
    Good luck with your venture.

piolet likes this.
  9. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

Thanks so much! Good to know!! I can't see how I can edit my initial post but will take your comments on board.

Yes, it's my favourite ski destination at least. Accommodation will be in a good 3+ star hotel and as mentioned above at around $3000 per person this would include transfers to hotel, standard single room, breakfast, hosting 7 days (so you don't need to worry about where to ski, how to get there, where to have lunch, where to party, where to have dinner etc), group skiing 6 days. Travel to Switzerland, lunches, dinners, drinks, lift pass, ski hire and, if you're up for it heli-skiing and touring, prices are not included. I should also add that the small groups (up to 8 people) will be like-ability and like-minded skiers. The intermediate group this year will be a cautious intermediate group who like bubbles and good food. The advanced group is more flexible.

10. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Kind of what I was angling for.

Thoughts:
    • If you're pitching at Aussie skiers then it's possibly too late in the season i.e. if one is going to fly across the globe to ski, then one wants to be there during the best time of the season (Feb, although Zermatt this matters less due to high-altitude glaciated areas).
    • Are the March dates due to sold out Jan/February tours? Do you have a website?
    • Transfers - you'd want to be catering for flights arriving/departing ZRH and GVA. Are we talking private shuttle here?
    • No half-board?
    • Your 'hosts' - are these qualified guides or ski instructors?
    • How hardcore are the expert group? Tour of Monte Rosa possible?

11. 'H' Jones

'H' Jones One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

talking of Zermatt, watch "The Horn" great title I know, on Netflix a series re Air Zermatt, great show. As a frequent visitor to Zermatt nice to see familiar places and faces.

12. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

Thanks for your thoughts. Answers above.. in italics for ease of reference.

13. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

Awesome show, a must watch for snow (and helicopter) lovers.

LMB likes this.
  14. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

Agreed!

15. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

Oops rookie error.. didn't realise your post would be converted to italics too. Here are the Q&As again..

• If you're pitching at Aussie skiers then it's possibly too late in the season i.e. if one is going to fly across the globe to ski, then one wants to be there during the best time of the season (Feb, although Zermatt this matters less due to high-altitude glaciated areas). Yes, getting late but better late than never. Some organise holidays years in advance others last minute. It will be difficult to accommodate last minute but really a matter of availability and pricing. March is the best as typically bitter cold is gone, days are longer and base solid.. last couple of years it was the best of the season for sure!
    • Are the March dates due to sold out Jan/February tours? Do you have a website? No, only do those two weeks for now and no website..so far just word of mouth.
    • Transfers - you'd want to be catering for flights arriving/departing ZRH and GVA. Are we talking private shuttle here? Happy for you to arrive/depart anywhere. Everyone typically makes their own way, some fly others rail etc.. so cater for all options but transfers will be by train to Zermatt.
    • No half-board? No because the mountain restaurants are too good to miss and you don't always want dinner let alone the obligation to make it back and eat another 5 courses each night at the same place so we will be mixing it up.
    • Your 'hosts' - are these qualified guides or ski instructors? Host is not a guide or instructor. If you need lessons we send you to ski school and for guided skiing, eg heli and touring, we organise a qualified guide.
    • How hardcore are the expert group? Tour of Monte Rosa possible? Yes definitely possible. Can make the advanced as hardcore as the group is up for.

16. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

BTW.. if anyone wants to know more about the trip.. I've just posted details about a trivia night this wednesday in the arrangements forum. Please come along and help me win (and then drink) prizes.

17. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

One last shout out.. Zermatt snow is tracking nicely, hotels are filling up, life's too short.. two single rooms still free for Mar 2-9 for intermediate skiers. If anyone is interested, let me know this week. Enjoy the season and stay safe everyone!

(Graph is for one of the areas in Zermatt.. Gornergrat)