1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Zermatt to Val D'isere Transport

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Scot_e17, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Scot_e17

Scot_e17 Hard Yards

Wondering whether anybody has experience commuting from Zermatt to Val D'isere. I've tried a couple of enquiries with private transport companies and the quoted prices are insane....$1200 AUD. Would appear the most cost effective is a train to Geneva and then a bus transfer to Val...totalling approx. 8 hrs of commute. Has anybody got experience with this route and can make suggestions of the most ideal/time/cost effective way? Thanks in advance.

Chaeron likes this.
  2. W0nkey D0nkey

W0nkey D0nkey One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Nice profile pic btw

3. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Hire a car .

4. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Other than hiring a car, I don't think there are going to be any quicker public transport options. You see there are these mountains in the way... so no real direct route. You just have to wear the 8 hours.

Train to Geneve - Swiss rail is Swiss rail - can't really go wrong. And they go regularly.
    Then bus. There are lots of buses from Geneve to the French resorts. Not sure how often they go though. Pretty simple though.

#4 Heinz, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
    XTREMO likes this.
  5. Heinz

6. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Pick one or the other and go somewhere else , There are plenty of French resorts a lot closer to Geneva , les Gets ,Morzine , Avoriaz etc etc

Heinz and Kletterer like this.
  7. CIRCA1962

CIRCA1962 Hard Yards

We did a reverse journey from the 3 Vallees to Zermatt a couple of year ago. Used a private transfer company to drop us off at Geneva airport, then took the train to Zermatt. Took around six hours in total. Very scenic trip, including riding the Glacier express from Visp. The normal mode of transport to and from Zermatt is by train, rather than car. Cars are banned from the village so door to door transfers are not possible.

8. Heinz

Also bear in mind that the driving times probably don't allow for winter conditions. I'm not familiar with the roads but they will be crossing some mountain passes, so driving time could be a bit longer than suggested.

In any case assuming that you are fixed on these two locations you will need to allow a full day for the transfer. So I would just jump on a train after breakfast in Zermatt, enjoy the ride and scenery. Cross to the French side in Geneve station, grab some lunch while waiting for the next bus to Val d'Isere and get there in time for dinner.

9. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

A long time ago I did Verbier to Val d'Isere. A little bit shorter than Zermatt. Train and bus was the best way I found. Just write off the day and look at the scenery.

10. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

It's Gunna be a long trip. Train is a good option.
    I would look at a shared airport transfer bus from Zermatt to GVA then another from GVA to Val
    How many people?

11. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Even Chamonix to Val d'Isere, I went back to Geneva as all the other options were $$$. When I first read the thread title my thoughts were also train to GVA then bus to Val.

12. Heinz

Yeah, I looked at going via Chamonix - the rail trip over from Martigny isn't quick but is very worthwhile, but then saw that you would still probably need to back to Geneve so ends up much longer.

Train to Geneve then bus is definitely going to be the simplest, most reliable and cost effective option. Just schedule the day.

13. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah I've done the Verbier - Cham rail trip a couple of times. It's long and convoluted but also very pretty.

14. Scot_e17

Scot_e17 Hard Yards

Wow...thanks for the incredible response all. I think Heinz you summed it up perfectly - 'sit back and enjoy the scenery'....train, then bus seems to be the concensus and we'll just commit the day to transit and enjoy the views along the way.

Fozzie Bear, piolet and CarveMan like this.
  15. Heinz

Swiss rail time table: https://www.sbb.ch/en
    Altibus timetable: https://www.altibus.com/documents/aeroports/2/navettes.pdf

For example you could catch train from Zermatt at 10:37 changing at Visp, get to Geneve at 14:30.
    Then remember you need to cross over to the French side of the station to find the buses.
    There is one at 15:30 (every day except Saturday) which gets to Val d' Isere at 19:30.
    There is an earlier bus at 12:15 but to get that you would probably have to leave Zermatt at 7:37.

16. WaitAwhile

WaitAwhile One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

So what happens if you miss a connection or blizzard like conditions and things get really slowed down.

17. Heinz

Can't imagine any issues with the train. They go every hour and it is Switzerland - they simply run on time. I would probably allow at least half an hour in Geneve for the bus. Don't know how full they get, but I'd probably just get ticket on arrival. The bus might be delayed a bit, would just mean later arrival. Wouldn't think it likely they would cancel a service completely, but if not there are 3 services a day on weekday and many more on Saturdays. Worst case you might have a night in Geneve.

18. CIRCA1962

CIRCA1962 Hard Yards

19. CIRCA1962

CIRCA1962 Hard Yards

Look at buying a Swiss transfer ticket for your return train trip to Zermatt. This is sold at a significant discount to a normal rail ticket but has to be purchased ahead of time. You can use the ticket to travel from say Zurich to Zermatt, and then to return to Geneva. Also look at the possibilty of a shared private transfer from Geneva rather than the Alti bus. This will be quicker, provide more flexibility and will be no more expensive than the bus. Ben’s bus also may be a better option. Also if you are Snow boarding rather than skiing and want to use Parks etc you are better off staying in Tignes (suggest Val Claret) rather than in Val d’Isere. It is a lot cheaper and will avoid the need to back load at the end of the day to get back to Val d’Isere.

20. skiaerial

skiaerial First Runs

Hope this helps: https://www.gvatransfers.com/

21. Research101

Research101 Hard Yards

If driving does anyone know wether the Col de la Forclaz is open over winter, everything I have read says it is but I am not sure ??
    We might want to go this way mid December Martigny SWISS to Chamonix FR, if so whats the road like ??

22. Luv my K2s

Luv my K2s Early Days

Yes that's right, most cost effective way is train from Zermatt to Geneva and bus from Geneva. It never hurts to ask if there are any spare seats on some of the tour buses too as that can be super cheap and quicker..