1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Zipflracer Special

Discussion in 'Noticeboard' started by SNOW-STUFF, May 26, 2009.

1. SNOW-STUFF

SNOW-STUFF Hard Yards

#1 SNOW-STUFF, May 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I don't think I've been on a toboggan in 30 years. but those zipflracers look so good that I'm almost tempted [​IMG]

#2 currawong, May 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  3. SNOW-STUFF

SNOW-STUFF Hard Yards

They are fun... trying to organise a race at a resort this year .. us usual the crap about safety and insurance continues to hamper any fun in Australia... What makes me laugh is that these are a lot safer than a standard toboggan and you have so much more control... anyway... thats a whole new discussion again..
    But.. I am thinking there maybe a weekend that I will organise just for fun to let people try all the toys out for free up at Mt Skene in August... just trying to wangle something...
    Cheers...
    I keep on thinking about the first time snowboards were introduced... now look at them!

4. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Try Greg & Leanne. Or have you already?

5. SNOW-STUFF

SNOW-STUFF Hard Yards

Teckel you are the only one in the region that will have them this year... So... If anyone wants to rent or buy one... Drop into her store!
    Cheers..

6. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Well, for the benefit of others, I'll give my opinion on them........ bloody brilliant!! They leave all other toboggans for dead. Fast, and great fun. Probably not suitable for little kids (under about 10) as their legs aren't long enough. I get the jaded dads in here each year who are sick of taking the kids tobogganing each year. I kit the dads out with a Zipfl Racer (or as I call them - Zipper Racer - easier to remember and pronounce) and they invariably come back with a grin from ear to ear declaring the trip to the snow the best they've ever had. They're pretty popular with teenagers too.

7. SNOW-STUFF

SNOW-STUFF Hard Yards

They just did a 157Kph record on them in Germany... I saw the video on it.. Don't know if I would be game but it looked cool..

8. trappers

trappers Safety not guaranteed Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I've seen them in Norway (along with the ubiquitous snow racers everyone has over there).

The problem in Australia is where are you going to use them?

They are not allowed on the slopes, and the true enjoyment from them (and snow racers) comes from more than just a 200m tobogan slope with a million 6 yearolds on it.

In Oslo we used to race the snow racers down a ~5km track from the top of Frognersetern to Midstuen. You took the public transport "tram" back up to the top and could get about 6 or 7 runs in during a day ... it was awesome fun, and everyone, regardless of age, used to do it. I cant imagine why you would bother on a short tobogan slope.

9. SNOW-STUFF

SNOW-STUFF Hard Yards

still loads of fun though... I am TRYING to work with the resorts in Australia, they all WANT to expand facilities through to other non ski/board type activities but when push comes to shove it all just gets too hard. I loaned a few to resorts last season and the feedback was great, but when it comes to working out how it's going to work... it's the same bury your head in the sand mentality that continues to reigh supreme in Australia... I guess I really need to find SOMEONE who acts more than talks... I am yet to find someone of this caliper.
    They are still fun on short runs, but heaps better on long ones. We took them up to a resort last year and were given "special" permission to use them on a ski run (with skiers) and they worked really well. I would however recommend that they should have their own time on a run without skiers or boarders because carnage would prevail as soon as someone does something stupid, which would happen very quickly..

SS out.....